Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Like, like yeah...

What's up with the word "like"? It's as if everywhere I go I hear at least one person saying "like" after every few words. What does it really mean when you say "like" the same way you would use an interjection?

Well, I did a bit of research(Wikipedia) and found this bit of info:
"These uses of like are commonly associated with Valley girls in pop culture. . ."

Hm... Valley girl? Interesting...

Alright, enough of the history mumbo-jumbo. The main reason I brought this up is that I've already had two teachers call out people who use "like" after every few words. Of course, this frustrated quite a few people; similar to how some teachers ask, "I don't know, can you?" when a student asks, "Can I go to the bathroom?" Seriously though, how on earth does "like" help anyone get his/her point across? Speaking with the clutter of "like" is much easier to understand. Just look at this entire post. Did I use the word "like" as I described above? Nope, not at all.

Don't take this the wrong way. I have nothing against people sprinkling "like" all over their sentences. It's just irritating to hear someone say it over and over again when he/she pauses to think about something.

"So, Albert Einstein was like... like... like... like sitting on a bench when he, like, came up with like the Theory of Relativity."
*facepalm*

No comments:

Post a Comment